Facing the line
Yesterday I went to the questura (Italian immigration office) and tried to get my resident permit. Since I am a non-EU citizen, I can only come on Saturday and they only open between 8.30 and 11.30.
Therefore, I went with a flat mate from China and be in front of the immigration office at 8.15. There were already a long line, from the age I can guessed they were workers and from the face mostly from North Africa and Albania.
Let me remind you that even though Italy is on Mediterranean but winter is still winter. It was about 5 degree Celsius and I saw some women and old people standing in line.
The inefficiently of Italian bureaucracy is quite famous, but I never heard them to be called heartless. Nevertheless, it is time sometime do exactly that. Many ways can yield more efficient and human treatment for resident permit seeker.
I wonder if anyone in the office ever heard of scheduled appointment? Or at about a thing called numbered ticket so once people get their number they can sit down somewhere warm. Have I told you that to submit application you also have to do the same thing on a Saturday between 8.30 and 11.30?
I wonder aloud to my flat mate what would happen to visiting professor/other visiting dignitaries from non-EU countries and whether they have to endure the same treatment like us. He replied that during his last application he saw one visiting professor at his department that just skip the line and go directly to the office. Power and position matter.
I stood in line for one and a half hour (good thing I bring hot tea in thermos) and reach the end of the line. Inside the office, after a brief search, the officer told me that my resident permit was not ready yet. Since I am not a dignitary or visiting professor, I am making a mental note to wear a thicker jacket for the next time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home