Friday, December 02, 2005

One World = One (American) Music?

Last night there was a party, a yearly tradition I was told, at my dormitory. The committee has been working a couple of weeks ahead to collect money, book the sound system, getting the permit and choose the songs

I was quite curious to find out how it is since after all this is my first party in Italy. Since about three quarter of the dorm residents are Italian and it is open for non residents, which mostly mean more Italian students, I was expecting a uniquely Italian experience. After all this is a country with long history (heard of Julius Caesar?) and strong sense of culture (know Pavarotti?).

Baudrillard said that globalization is fundamentally a process of homogenization and standardization that crushes “the singular” and heterogeneity.

The notion never felt more true to me than last night.

I saw the usual social pecking order, disco room setting with the rotating light and large sound systems. And as the title suggested, I heard only American music (Santana is the only quasi exception).

I will not be surprise if the party is in Amsterdam or Singapore as with small countries and short history where English is widely spoken (thus, American music dominates).

It is hard to expect the levelling of global influence and glocalization forces to work if the locals are hardly survive in the local setting.

Of course the above statement is made from only one observation and could be much a do about nothing. Now I have a valid scientific reason to go to more parties.



picture


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home