Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bookfest

After lebaran and not many relatives and friend to visit. So I turned my attention to books, some newly acquired and some borrowed

For anyone like fiction with historical and cultural background, I'd highly recommend Tai Pan and Noble House by James Clavell which exquisitely intertwined European politic with Asian culture. The description of Asian mind set, sense of collectivity and patience as well as greed, manipulation and strategy is simply superb. Especially with backdrop of Opium wars and founding of Hongkong

Khaled Hosseini in his 'The Kite Runner" thought me more about Afghanistan than newspaper articles that I read all these years (and I assured you that I am quite well read) especially the combination of pride and insecurity due to more successful neighboring countries (Iran, Pakistan and Russia). The courting process between the protagonist is just precious and the theme of redemption could be apply everywhere. I particularly enjoyed the vivid description of live under Taliban.

Aksara and Periplus surely deserve a two thumb up for providing affordable and high quality English books

Let the bookfest continue!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home