That is why we climb mountains
"Kami katakan bahwa kami adalah manusia-manusia yang tidak percaya pada slogan. Patriotisme tidak mungkin tumbuh dari hipokrisi dan slogan-slogan. Seseorang hanya dapat mencintai sesuatu secara sehat kalau ia mengenal obyeknya. Dan mencintai tanah air Indonesia dapat ditumbuhkan dengan mengenal Indonesia bersama rakyatnya dari dekat. Pertumbuhan jiwa yang sehat dari pemuda harus berarti pula pertumbuhan fisik yang sehat. Karena itulah kami naik gunung."
-Soe Hok Gie in Diary of a Demonstrant-
Why do some people leave the comfort of city to go to some version of wild? Dont we have National Geographic and Animal Planet to turn to?
The reason SHG is a bit to high-minded to me. I went to the hiking in the foot of Salak Mountain is just because my office mates asked me to join and I thought why not.
I have not went camping for ages.. the last one was on early undergrad to visit my highschool science club initiation night. I went camping more often during primary school was more often in term of hiking cause my father like it a lot.
The camping site is well managed and the group have a great time eventhough we must return from the highlight of the trip under heavy tropical rain. The monopoly and scrabble on sunday was at least as fun as the hiking it self if not more.
Maybe it is more human against the wild. Or it is the quest to find ourself in the wild. We come to know who we are and people around more under pressure and group activity.
It come to my mind that if the children are exposed early to outdoor life they might be a little less inclined to pollute and destroy it later. I dont have the data to prove it though. But I would not be surprise if ithe two has some strong correlation. So you all, make some time to go to the wild but return to city to make them better.
“Now I see the secret of the making of the best person. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth”.
Walt Whitman
-Soe Hok Gie in Diary of a Demonstrant-
Why do some people leave the comfort of city to go to some version of wild? Dont we have National Geographic and Animal Planet to turn to?
The reason SHG is a bit to high-minded to me. I went to the hiking in the foot of Salak Mountain is just because my office mates asked me to join and I thought why not.
I have not went camping for ages.. the last one was on early undergrad to visit my highschool science club initiation night. I went camping more often during primary school was more often in term of hiking cause my father like it a lot.
The camping site is well managed and the group have a great time eventhough we must return from the highlight of the trip under heavy tropical rain. The monopoly and scrabble on sunday was at least as fun as the hiking it self if not more.
Maybe it is more human against the wild. Or it is the quest to find ourself in the wild. We come to know who we are and people around more under pressure and group activity.
It come to my mind that if the children are exposed early to outdoor life they might be a little less inclined to pollute and destroy it later. I dont have the data to prove it though. But I would not be surprise if ithe two has some strong correlation. So you all, make some time to go to the wild but return to city to make them better.
“Now I see the secret of the making of the best person. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth”.
Walt Whitman

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home