Sunday, September 07, 2008

Between parliamentary candidates and school teachers in remote areas

A couple of days ago I attended two occasions on the same day.

The first one is the send off meeting of former student activist involved in reformasi movement that will run the upcoming national parliamentary election (No, I am not running, The send off instead of being send off).

It supposed to remind the young MP candidate of the commitment that we fought hard together in the past is still worth fighting in the future. To remind them not to become one of the corrupt and immoral MP’s that is quite abundant in the parliament.

I met a couple of old friends there and catching up. Its good to know what they have been doing all this time. Some choose the path of NGO and academician as well.

At night, I went to Metro TV to watch my favourite show, Kick Andy, that feature upcoming movie adapted from Rainbow’s troop (Laskar Pelangi, see the shots and updated here) best seller book.

To the uninitiated, Laskar Pelangi is a story about ten children and the education they have in a deprive school at remote areas in Belitong island under tutelage of a great teacher.

The show bring the actors, all Belitong native and have strong independent streak that know how to having fun, directors and Andrea Hirata as well as the original teacher (Bu Muslimah).

I was really touch by the commitment shown by Bu Muslimah and the gratitude shown by Andrea Hirata. He also stated that his life is an effort to compensate for Indonesia’s loss of a Lintang, very bright student that could not continue his education due to lack of financing. As Nidji in soundtrack said, to dream is the key. But to open the door also need some additional resources.

The show also gave homage to ten of thousands of teachers in remote areas of Indonesia. They are the unsung heroes of the country’s future, the children and future generation.

The two events got me thinking about my self.

I don’t think I am an MP material and I am not sure that I will be productive as schoolteachers in remote areas. So at which exact spectrum I can be best place between the two ends? Still have to look for place or myself under the sun to contribute.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very sophisticated english, as usual :D

eh, mas, MP tu Member of Parliament (DPR) ta? (si om google kurang bisa memberi rekomendasi dlm hal ini :p)

4:16 pm  
Blogger Berly said...

Actually there are some grammatical mistake, it all happened in the past but present tense is sprinkle all over the passage. Will correct it later.

Yup, MP is short for member of parliament.

Dika pasang feed-nya donk di blog The Colors. Kan jadinya nggak masuk di Google reader-ku.

11:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now that you mentioned, I did see some of the present tense :p

feed-nya:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/apradika

itu feednya sebenernya sama aja si, tapi bloggernya aja yg bingung soalnya aku switch addressnya.

9:20 pm  
Blogger metty said...

You don't have to be an MP or a teacher in remote area to be able to contribute to this country. Even a simple earnest greeting smile will do...

3:01 am  
Blogger Berly said...

yup.. one of the biggest personal question if life.

What would I be when I grow up and how it would effect others :-)

5:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home